6/01/2009

A Prayer for Owen Meany

This is the second John Irving book I have read in the last few months. I have decided that i really like his style of writing. there are books that feel like the author is finding out what happens as it is written, without plan or knowledge of what will happen next. Irving has a way of forshadowing exactly what is important, making your recognize the foreshadowing, and still leaving you surprised at how it ends. That was the case with Owen Meany. Everything was in place for the climax of the book. If you were paying attention, you had to know what was coming, but I was still surprised. the book is really about God, and I dont know if Irving was trying to say that people who believe in God are silly or that people who dont believe in God are silly, and frankly it doesnt matter. I have a feeling that regardless of what you actually believe, you will feel that Irving agrees with you.

2 comments:

JV said...

I KNEW YOU WOULD LOVE THIS BOOK! I agree with your take on John Irving. Makes me want to read it again. This one was really a favorite.

Beth said...

I really liked this book when I read it. Hated the movie, because it cut out all the complexity and the flashbackyness.